FAPA President's Book AwardsRecognizing book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production
2019 Submissions Open Nov 1!
Each year, the FAPA President’s Book Awards program recognizes book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production for North American authors and publishers. Librarians, book industry professionals, and educators from Florida and other states will judge content, theme, layout, and cover design elements.
For the 2019 awards, submissions opened on November 1, 2018. Submissions will close on April 1, 2019. This year FAPA will award gold, silver, and bronze medals in twenty-five categories. Books published between May 2018 and April 2019 that meet the 2019 Submissions Guidelines are eligible for a 2019 award. An eligible title may be submitted in multiple categories. The fee for each title/category submission is $95.00. Titles submitted before January 16,
Winners will be announced by email and listed on the FAPA website in May. All category winners receive their medal, a digital certificate, and 10 medal decals at the annual FAPA President’s Book Awards Banquet which will be held in Orlando on Saturday, August 3, 2019. FAPA also issues a press release announcing the winners that can be sent to the media and used on an author’s website, blog, and on social media.
Previous Medal Winners
2019 Submission Guidelines
- Author or publisher must reside in North America.
- Books must be published between May 2018 and April 2019.
- Books/eBooks must have a valid ISBN number and include the year published within the book.
- eBooks may have an ASIN in lieu of ISBN.
- FAPA membership is not required for entry.
- Previous award-winning titles of FAPA President’s Book Awards may not be re-entered.
- FAPA board members are able to enter books in the awards competition.
2019 Submissions and Judging
- Medals will be awarded in the 25 categories listed below.
- Submission Fee is $95.00 per title/category for FAPA members and non-members.
- Titles submitted before January 16,
2019are eligible for an “early bird” submission fee of $75.00 per category.
- All entries in each category will be considered by three judges.
- Librarians, book industry professionals, and educators from Florida and multiple other states will judge content, theme, layout, and cover design elements.
- Books are submitted digitally. At the time of your submission, you will need to upload a complete PDF or ePub file of your book and a high-quality digital image of your cover consistent with the listed specifications.
The FAPA Gold Medal Award provided an instantaneous (and continuing) boost to my promotional efforts. When folks see that One Drop–A Slave! has garnered a national award, they know the book stands above countless others they encounter on the market. The medal draws attention to the physical book and to online advertising and serves as an “entrance key” into various events, book fairs, library and school presentations, historical societies and more.Eddie Price
2019 Book Awards Categories
01. Adult Fiction – General
02. Adult Fiction – Historical
03. Adult Fiction – Mystery
04. Adult Fiction – Romance
05. Adult Fiction – Sci-Fi/Fantasy
06. Adult Fiction – Horror/Suspense/Thriller
09. Children’s Picture Book Ages 0-7
10. Children’s Chapter Books Age 7-12
11. Coffee Table Book/Cookbooks/Home & Garden
13. Young Adult Fiction and Non-fiction
14. How-to, Self-help/Inspirational
17. Nonfiction – Adult
18. Nonfiction – Child
20. Political/Current events
23. Cover Design – Juvenile
24. Cover Design – Young Adult
25. Cover Design – Adult
… a juried book award lends a certain prestige and legitimacy to a title. Given a choice between a best-seller campaign and a book award, I’d choose the award any day!”Tara Alemany
“Entering the FAPA President’s Book Award was one of the best things I could have done for my book. I had no idea when I entered the contest, the honor that would come with winning. I even wore my medals home on the plane.”Nancy Sprowell Geise
“Since receiving a gold medal in the 2017 FAPA Awards for Fifo Musical Animals ABC, I have been approached by both an agent and a traditional publisher.”Hayley Rose
See What Other Award Winners Have Said
Enter the 2019 FAPA President's Book Awards
This will take you to the 2019 FAPA Book Awards submissions site. You will have to create a separate account from your MyFAPA.org account there. If you submitted in prior years, you will already have an account.