FAPA President's Book Awards For 2021
Recognizing book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production.
Each year the Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) sponsors the FAPA President’s Book Awards, which recognizes book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production for authors and publishers. This year we have opened the competition from North America only to the English speaking world. We hope to encourage entries from all who share our complex and wonderful language.
Finalists are chosen by publishing professionals and librarians from both within and outside of Florida and are announced at the President’s Book Awards Banquet the first weekend of August.
FAPA membership is not required for entry, although FAPA members receive a $20 discount. Not a member? Join FAPA Here.
Award Winner Perks
- Gold, Silver or Bronze medal
- Digital download of the FAPA President’s Book Award medallion
- Certificate of Achievement
- Recognition the FAPA President Book Award Banquet on Aug 1, 2020 in Orlando
- Winning books added to the FAPA Bookstore online
- Inclusion in FAPA press release sent to Florida media outlets and industry outlets
- Press release template to use for personal promotional efforts.
- Judge reviews upon request
- PDF download on “How to Maximize Your New Book Award”
2021 Book Awards Categories
1. Adult Fiction – General
2. Adult Fiction – Historical
3. Adult Fiction – Mystery / Suspense
4. Adult Fiction – Thriller / Horror
5. Adult Fiction – Romance
6. Adult Fiction – Science Fiction
7. Adult Fiction – Fantasy
8. Young Adult – Fiction
9. Young Adult – Non-Fiction
10. Children – Education
11. Children – General
12. Children – Coming of Age
13. Children – Sci-Fi / Fantasy
15. Children – Grades 4th-6th
16. Children – Grades K-3rd
17. Children – Picture Book
18. Children – Pre-school
19. Adult – Non-Fiction – General
20. Biography / Autobiography / Memoir
21. Cookbook / Home & Garden
22. Coffee Table Book
24. How-To / Self-Help
27. Religion / Spirituality
28. Fitness / Sports / Recreation
31. Political / Current Events
33. Cover Design – Adult
34. Cover Design – Young Adult
35. Cover Design – Juvenile
2021 Submission Guidelines
- Acceptable publishing dates for books submitted for the President’s Book Awards will be books published between January of the previous year and May of the awards year. Example: Between January 2018 and April 2020.
- Books/eBooks must have a valid ISBN and include the year published within the book. eBooks may have an ASIN in lieu of ISBN.
- FAPA membership is not required for entry.
- Previous award-winning titles of FAPA President’s Book Awards may not be re-entered.
- FAPA board members are able to enter books in the awards competition.
- eBooks should be submitted in PDF format.
- EARLY BIRD SPECIAL! Entries received before midnight January 15, will qualify for a $20 discount.
2021 Submissions and Judging
- All entries in each category will be considered by three judges.
- Librarians, book industry professionals, and educators from Florida and multiple other states will judge content, theme, layout, and cover design elements.
- Books are submitted digitally. At the time of your submission, you will need a complete PDF file of your book to be uploaded and a high-quality JPG digital image of your cover consistent with industry specifications. Paper submissions will not be judged or returned.
“The FAPA Gold Medal Award provided an instantaneous (and continuing) boost to my promotional efforts. When folks see that One Drop–A Slave! has garnered a national award, they know the book stands above countless others they encounter on the market. The medal draws attention to the physical book and to online advertising and serves as an “entrance key” into various events, book fairs, library and school presentations, historical societies and more.”
Previous Medal Winners
“I’m so proud that A Beautiful Morning won a gold medal in the FAPA 2018 President’s Awards. This is my first book; for it to have been selected for such a prestigious honor is thrilling and a wonderful reward for all of my hard work.”
“Entering the FAPA President’s Book Award was one of the best things I could have done for my book. I had no idea when I entered the contest, the honor that would come with winning. I even wore my medals home on the plane.”
“Since receiving a gold medal in the 2017 FAPA Awards for Fifo Musical Animals ABC, I have been approached by both an agent and a traditional publisher.”
“… a juried book award lends a certain prestige and legitimacy to a title. Given a choice between a best-seller campaign and a book award, I’d choose the award any day!”