FAPA President's Book Awards For 2021
Recognizing book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production.
2021 Book Awards Medalists
We are proud to announce the 2021 FAPA President’s Book Award winners! Our thanks, again, to the many librarians and publishing professions who served as judges this year and to the incredibly talented authors who submitted their books.
Note: these books are now available in the FAPA Store
Each year the Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) sponsors the FAPA President’s Book Awards, which recognizes book publishing excellence and creativity in design, content, and production for authors and publishers. This year we have opened the competition from North America only to the English-speaking world. We hope to encourage entries from all who share our complex and wonderful language.
Finalists are chosen by publishing professionals and librarians from both within and outside of Florida and are announced at the President’s Book Awards Banquet the last weekend of July.
FAPA membership is not required for entry, although FAPA members receive a $20 discount. Not a member? Join FAPA Here.
Award Winner Perks
- Gold, Silver or Bronze medal
- Digital download of the FAPA President’s Book Award medallion
- Certificate of Achievement
- Recognition the FAPA President Book Award Banquet on July 31, 2021 in Orlando
- Winning books added to the FAPA Bookstore online
- Inclusion in FAPA press release sent to Florida media outlets and industry outlets
- Press release template to use for personal promotional efforts.
- Judge reviews upon request
- PDF download on “How to Maximize Your New Book Award”
Submissions Deadline is April 30, 2021
Early Bird Discounts through January 15, 2021
2021 Book Awards Categories
1. Adult Fiction – General
2. Adult Fiction – Historical
3. Adult Fiction – Mystery / Suspense
4. Adult Fiction – Thriller / Horror
5. Adult Fiction – Romance
6. Adult Fiction – Science Fiction
7. Adult Fiction – Fantasy
8. Adult Fiction – Anthology/Collection
9. Young Adult – Fiction
10. Young Adult – Non-Fiction
11. Children – Education
12. Children – General
13. Children – Coming of Age
14. Children – Sci-Fi / Fantasy
16. Children – Grades 4th-6th
17. Children – Grades K-3rd
18. Children – Picture Book
19. Children – Pre-school
20. Adult – Non-Fiction – General
21. Biography / Autobiography / Memoir
22. Cookbook / Home & Garden
23. Coffee Table Book
25. How-To / Self-Help
28. Religion / Spirituality
29. Fitness / Sports / Recreation
32. Political / Current Events
34. Cover Design – Adult
35. Cover Design – Young Adult
36. Cover Design – Juvenile
37. Children’s Book Illustrations
2021 Submission Guidelines
Acceptable publishing dates for books submitted for the President’s Book Awards will be books with a copyright date from 2019 to
- Books/eBooks must have a valid ISBN and include the year published within the book. eBooks may have an ASIN in lieu of ISBN.
- FAPA membership is not required for entry, although FAPA members receive a $20 discount off the standard rate at the end of the Early Bird period. Join FAPA at https://myfapa.org/join-fapa/
- Previous award-winning titles of FAPA President’s Book Awards may not be re-entered
- FAPA board members are able to enter books in the awards competition.
- eBooks should be submitted in PDF format.
- EARLY BIRD SPECIALS!
Entries received between September 15th and October 31st will receive a $30 discount.
Entries received between November 1st and midnight January 15, will qualify for a $20 discount. All contest categories will finally close at Midnight April 30.
- The Florida Authors and Publishers Award represents examples of excellence in writing as well as publishing. Books with notable
flaws in editing or are missing major elements of book design are not likely to receive an award.
- Please note we have added two categories this year, Anthology or Collection by a Single Author and Children’s Book Illustration.
- All entries in each category will be considered by three judges.
- Librarians, book industry professionals, and educators from Florida and multiple other states will judge content, theme, layout, and cover design elements.
- Books are submitted digitally. At the time of your submission, you will need a complete PDF file of your book to be uploaded and a high-quality JPG digital image of your cover consistent with industry specifications. Paper submissions will not be judged or returned.
Submission Error Policy:
Entries submitted in the wrong categories may not be scored, resubmission and refunds may be requested. Contest Admins are not capable of changing the category of a submission. Refunds for duplicate or erroneous entries will be subject to the loss of Submittable’s processing fees.
“The FAPA Gold Medal Award provided an instantaneous (and continuing) boost to my promotional efforts. When folks see that One Drop–A Slave! has garnered a national award, they know the book stands above countless others they encounter on the market. The medal draws attention to the physical book and to online advertising and serves as an “entrance key” into various events, book fairs, library and school presentations, historical societies and more.”
Previous Medal Winners
“I’m so proud that A Beautiful Morning won a gold medal in the FAPA 2018 President’s Awards. This is my first book; for it to have been selected for such a prestigious honor is thrilling and a wonderful reward for all of my hard work.”
“Entering the FAPA President’s Book Award was one of the best things I could have done for my book. I had no idea when I entered the contest, the honor that would come with winning. I even wore my medals home on the plane.”
“Since receiving a gold medal in the 2017 FAPA Awards for Fifo Musical Animals ABC, I have been approached by both an agent and a traditional publisher.”
“… a juried book award lends a certain prestige and legitimacy to a title. Given a choice between a best-seller campaign and a book award, I’d choose the award any day!”