Publishing Industry Standards
If you have not joined the Independent Book Publishers Association I highly suggest you do so. It is a non-profit membership organization serving and leading the independent publishing community through advocacy, education, and tools for success. With over 3,000 members, IBPA is the largest publishing trade association in the U.S. If you’re an independent publisher, self-published author, small press, or mid-sized publisher, you should consider joining.
FAPA is a proud affiliate of IBPA. We were honored to have their Chief Executive Officer, Angela Bole, speak at our last FAPA convention in Orlando. Yes, we have wonderful, outstanding, informative, speakers who not only educate but encourage those whose are in the independent book publishing industry.
IBPA provides a comprehensive industry standard checklist for publishing books that will allow your book to have a professional presentation in the market. Here are some of the key things your book needs:
- Title page
- Half-title page is also recommended
- Copyright page
- Dedication and table of contents page(s) are optional
- Grammar and copyediting are paramount. Your content should be free of grammatical and typographical errors.
- Quality of writing should be well written in a style that is appropriate to the topic, free of clichés, and accurate when presenting facts.
- Your work needs to be free of plagiarism and all sources should be credited.
- Author page or illustrator page should have bio and photo with any credentials for a specialized topic.
All books must have:
- Professional looking front cover – title, subtitle, author name.
- Spine – Title, subtitle, author name, publisher name and/or logo.
- Back Cover – Price, ISBN, BISAC subject heading, publisher name and/or logo, endorsements, ISBN encoded barcode.
This is just a short synopsis taken from www.ibpa-online.org. I encourage you to read the entire industry standards checklist at https://www.ibpa-online.org/page/standardschecklist as it is an informative document.
Remember to attend our annual conference every year to hear the best professionals in this industry, allowing you to obtain informative/educational information to help make your publishing dreams come true.